Pages

Friday, April 02, 2010

Sushi Garden-Good Friday Good Lunch

The first day of the long weekend today. Unfortunately, the weather was brutal; it was very windy and was raining the whollleeee day. But still, EU and I decided to go to Burnaby Metrotown to do some shopping. We are determined to not let anything to mess up our schedule!


EU suggested Sushi Garden, where she describes their portions are as BIG as Banzai. Curious enough, we decided to arrive there earlier because Sushi Garden is also famous for its line-ups! LOL!
Sushi Garden
#4635 Kingsway, Burnaby BC (across Metrotown)

Ratings
1:Yucks! 2:Improvement needed 3:So-So~ 4:Good 5:Very good 6:Heavenly

Food: 4
Price: 5
Service: 3 (depends when)
Ambiance: 4
Overall: 4.5
  • Run by Korean
  • Mon-Sat 11am-10pm Sun 11:30am-9:30pm
  • Many special rolls available
  • Generous portions
  • 1/2 roll order available
  • Very busy during lunch and dinner
  • For walk-ins, remember to register your name in the cashier for booking
  • Dine in/Take out
  • Sushis are very Korean-ish
Wakame Salad-4/6
  • $3.50
  • The texture is different from the ones I had before.
  • The sauce is not too watery and has a hint of sourcess, which I really like it.
  • They give you a generous portion as expected
Wild Salmon Sashimi & Red Tuna (Ahi) Sashimi

  • Sushi Garden has a large variety of sashimi
  • 1/2 order available except Assorted Sashimi
  • Most (full) orders are around 8-9pcs

Red Tuna Sashimi (Ahi) (1/2 order)-5/6

  • $14.95/1 order (8pcs)
  • Maybe because this is my first time trying Ahi Tuna Sashimi, so I gave it a 5
  • The texture is soft but not as soft as the regular tuna.
  • I can't really judge its quality because this is my first attempt. I will try Ahi Tuna next time in other restaurants.

Wild Salmon Sashimi (1 order)-4.5/6

  • $11.95/1 order (8 pcs)
  • Actually I was not sure whether Wild Salmon and Sockeye Salmon were the same thing, but still I gave it a try.
  • It's better than I thought but I'm sure I have had better ones (well I know, you can't expect HIGH quality with a low price right ;))
  • The texture is softer than I thought. Is it better for sashimi to be softer?
Island Roll-5.5/6
  • $4.95/8pcs
  • Cooked tuna, fish flake with fresh kiwi sauce (Description on menu)
  • I find its description is not really accurate. Yes it has cooked tuna and fresh kiwi sauce, but it doesn't have any fish flake. Instead, it has cucumber, sprouts and tamago (egg).
  • Fresh kiwi sauce is really fresh. You can find tiny little kiwi pieces in the sauce. It is neither too sweet nor too sour, and it goes well with the cooked tuna.
  • Don't expect the "cooked tuna" is seared tuna or something like tuna tataki. It is actually the canned tuna. Maybe some people don't like it because it's a weird combination, but I find it quite special ;) I've always tried the Island Roll from Jumbo Sushi (on No.3 Rd, Richmond); I think Sushi Garden did a better job on this.

House Roll-2/6

  • $4.50/6pcs
  • Crab meat, tamago, cucumber, avocado, salmon and tuna
  • The rice is very "home-made" (I mean it tastes like the rice you got from a rice cooker). It doesn't have any vinegar flavour.
  • The tuna and salmon are very mushy. I wish they can give me more tuna and salmon though. Maybe I will order some tuna and salmon sashimi in my next visit.

Sushi Garden is a nice place for cheap sushis and sashimi in large portions. Except the long-waiting and the "unpredictable" services (which means sometimes bad sometimes good), their food are still acceptable.

To be honest, I'm pretty impressed by Sushi Garden because all the waiters/waitresses and chefs are Korean. Although there isn't a hint of Japanese in their dishes, I really like their creativity on the sushi rolls. So when you are around Burnaby Metrotown and want to grab so fast and cheap eats, you should go to Sushi Garden and give it a try :)

P.S. I find this really interesting. Yes, everything is "Made in Korea" ;)

Sushi Garden on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment