Pages

Sunday, April 04, 2010

Pink Swirl (aka Sushi World)-Taking risks may not be a good thing sometimes...

EU planned to go to Pacific Centre today because she needed to make a visit to Hollister. So we decided to grab a quick lunch in Richmond before heading off to Vancouver.

One of our eat-and-go places for lunch is Pink Swirl, which has always been one of my favourites.
(FYI: The other eat-and-go place for lunch is Qoola at Aberdeen Centre :))



Pink Swirl
#1040-4540 No.3 Rd, Richmond BC

Ratings
1:Yucks! 2:Improvement needed 3:So-So~ 4:Good 5:Very good 6:Heavenly

Food: 5
Price: 5.5
Services: 6
Ambiance: 4.5
Overall: 5
  • Formerly known as Sushi World
  • Hole-in-the-wall
  • Wed-Mon 11am-9pm
  • Closed on Tuesdays
  • Cash only
  • Dine in/Take out
  • Many special rolls available
  • Super-friendly services
  • Slush and fat-free yoghurt shakes available
  • Frozen yoghurt (with 1 topping) available
  • Rice bowls, combos and sashimi available
  • Cheap eats
  • Kids friendly; cozy place for teenagers to hang-out
  • Sticky tables (Yikes!)
  • Gluten-free friendly
  • Free Wi-fi
  • Flexible choice
  • Every time I visit Pink Swirl, I notice there are some changes in their (take out) menu. It's not the food/items they have changed, but the fonts and the pictures seem to be getting clearer.
Blackberry & Blueberry Fat-free Yoghurt Shakes-4/6 (for blackberry), 6/6 (for blueberry)
  • $2.50/each
  • Tastes like smoothies but its very refreshing.
  • It's thick! The fruit's flavour is strong, but I can't taste any yoghurt flavour though.
  • I think it's worth it for such a big cup.

Originally, I planned to order their bestseller-Tokyo Roll as usual. But EU suggested that we should try something new, so we ordered...


Vancouver Roll & Sakura Roll-3/6 (for Vancouver Roll), 2/6 (for Sakura Roll)

  • $3.95/6pcs
  • Crab, tamago and avocado with smoked salmon on top
  • EU and I decided to change the avocado into mango because both of us don't like avocado.
  • The smell and flavour of the smoked salmon are very strong. I remember all I could smell was the smoked salmon when they brought us the sushi.
  • The mango is fresh and sweet, but the sweetness is acceptable.
  • The tamago is too soft for my liking.
  • The rice has that vinegar flavour but it's not the regular sushi rice vinegar I normally have. Hmm..maybe it's just me because EU finds it ok.
  • Seaweed is a bit tough; maybe because it's too moist.
  • Even though the Vancouver Roll is not as good as we expected (definitely not as good as their bestseller!), I appreciate the owner for letting me to change the avocado into mango. And they actually give us a generous amount of mango! :D

  • $4.95/8pcs
  • Salmon, tuna, kappa, green-masago wrap with rice crepe (description from menu)
  • Instead of green-masago, we actually had orange and black masago. (Is this a good thing or a bad thing? ;))
  • The Sakura Roll is disappointing. We thought the "rice crepe" would be something special like the Tokyo Roll. However, it's a thin and transparent piece of "crepe".
  • The crepe is very tough.
  • The fillings are very little. They only gave us small pieces of tuna and salmon in each roll.
  • Their tuna and salmon are too mushy for my liking.
  • Similar to the Vancouver Roll, the rice has that vinegar flavour but it's not the regular one I have.

*Extra: I have tried their frozen yoghurt before. It's cheap, and the texture and flavour are acceptable. Also, you can always get more than you expected from the owner! ;D He once gave me an over-height fro-yo with more than 1 topping!

After today, EU and I decided not to take any risks in Pink Swirl next time.

Let's just stick with their signature Tokyo Roll ;)

Pink Swirl on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment