Pages

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Maple Castella Bakery #1-(One of) The BEST bread in my life!

Welcome welcome welcome :) I have been struggling whether to start a blog recently. Thanks to my sister, she has given me the motivation to start one.

This blog is going to include ALL the stuff I see in my daily life, including foods, fashion, interesting experiences etc etc etc. (Well, Vancouver food posts are normally posted on weekends)

So here we go! The FIRST food post on SHiRLEY SEES :)

After having lunch, EU and I spent some time in Richmond because she wanted to find a "recommended bakery" for their pumpkin bread. We spent about an hour searching for this bakery. To be honest, I didn't expect much from the bakery's outlook, the customers inside, and most importantly, the weird-looking shopkeepers. However, I was wrong, so wrong.


Maple Castella Bakery
#1068-8700 McKim Way, Richmond BC

Ratings
1:Yucks! 2:Improvement needed 3:So-So~ 4:Good 5:Very good 6:Heavenly

Food: 6
Price: 5
Services: 5
Ambiance: n/a [it's a bakery]
Overall: 6

This is my 1st time there so I've only tried their PUMPKIN BREAD-6/6

  • super fluffy and soft bread
  • can easily tear apart
  • special texture; unlike the typical Chinese/Asian/European/American bread
  • "a bread that doesn't taste like a bread", it's waaayyy fluffier than a bread
  • baked fresh daily, or even hourly
  • popular to Chinese/locals
  • $8/loaf ($4/half loaf)
  • according to EU, it's a bit more expensive to normal bread but it's definitely worth it!
  • other flavours: red bean, taro, pork floss
  • Taiwanese bakery
  • Hole-in-the-wall; location is pretty hard to find
  • pumpkin filling: decent amount, not too sweet, fresh (not the canned ones), mashed rather than puree, include chunks

I've never had such fluffy AND soft bread in my life! It is even better than the ones I had in Hong Kong! When I was in the bakery, the bread's outlook did not look really good. And the way the lady served the bread is a bit weird. But after she said, "Be careful, it's still warm." I could not wait to give this little monster a bite!

After spending some time figuring out how Maple Castella made their awesome bread, EU and I are wondering whether they have used the (Chinese) steaming method to make the bread. If there are any PROs out there know more information about Steaming, I don't mind you leave me a comment :) I really really want to know more about it.

EU and I bought a half loaf pumpkin bread and finished it right away! Hehe..But surprisingly, we did not feel super full (like we want to vomit), maybe because of their not-too-sweet filling.

Dinner post will be posted sooon! ;)

1 comment:

  1. Nah! We didn't spend an HOUR looking for Maple Castella. But don't you think it worths looking for even if we have to spend the entire day? :) Gosh! Simply reading your post makes me crave for pumpkin bread! Ah, I'm gonna dream about it tonight! Oh yea, and congratez on your new blog *popping champange*. It's actually pretty fun to read, unlike mine... Bored! Anyway, I'll keep you motivated on blogging!

    ReplyDelete