Pages

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Guu Garden-OH MY GUUDNESS!

I've always wanted to try Guu Garden because it's a division of Guu, and its interior design looks really fancy to me. After discussing with EU, we decided to take the Skytrain to downtown and give this new Guu a shot!

Guu Garden
M101-888 Nelson Street, Vancouver BC

Ratings
1:Yucks! 2:Improvement needed 3:So-So~ 4:Good 5:Very good 6:Heavenly

Food: 5.5
Price: 4.5
Services: 5.5
Ambiance: 6
Overall: 5.5
  • New Guu branch
  • Authentic Japanese restaurant
  • All chefs and waitresses are Japanese
  • Mon-Sun 5:30pm-12am
  • Everyone will greet you warmly when you enter the restaurant
  • Focus on oden
  • Odd location; it is pretty hard to find...
  • Get busier at night
  • For large group, they recommend customers to pre-order their prefer Oden menu when making reservation.

  • You can choose either to try their cocktails or tea

Kanto-daki

  • Each ingredient has a different price, from $1.5-7.8
  • Soy sauce based oden with light soup
  • They have Today's Oden on Today's Special sheet
  • See that muddy yellowish paste on the side of the pot? It's wasabi and it goes well with the balls. You should try it ;)

  • Mochi Tofu Bag-5.5/6
  • $2
  • Everything is edible, including the white thing that is used to tie the bag
  • Eu and I were totally surpised by this little bag! At first, we didn't expect anything from it by its outlook; we thought it's just an ordinary fluffy tofu ball. However, when I bit open the bag, it was filled with mochi inside!
  • The mochi is really chewy and sofy, it's like a half-melted marshmellow (without the sweetness)
  • The white thing that is used to tie the bag (uhh I don't know what it is called) is chewy as well
  • Highly recommend for mochi lovers! EU, who is one of them, loves this so much!

  • Ganmo Tofu Ball-4/6
  • $1.5
  • Nothing special about this ball; it's like those ordinary tofu balls you have in hot-pot
  • It is a bit more chewy though

  • Fluffy Fish Cake-3.5/6
  • $2
  • It is quite fluffy compare to other ordinary fish balls/fish cakes
  • If you order this, I suggest you eat it first because it gets really soft after staying in the broth for a while
  • Maybe because it already got so soft when I tried it, I didn't really like it's texture. It's too soft for me.

  • Ginkyo Nuts-5/6
  • $1.5
  • They gave me more than I expected. I thought they gave me two orders but when I asked them, they told me this is one order :)
  • I am a ginkyo nuts fan! Even though they do not have much taste, Guu Garden is able to cook them in the right texture. Chewy and crunchy enough for me!

Miso Oden-5.5/6 (for fried egg), n/a (for taro jelly)

  • $1.5 each
  • EU ordered the taro jelly so I didn't try it
  • EU said the taro jelly is chewy and she likes it
  • The fried egg is better than I expected. It is soft and fluffy. And it does not taste oily.
  • The miso sauce is not salty, which is good; instead, it has a hint of sweetness. I like it ;)

Salmon Ruibe-5/6

  • $7.8
  • Salmon is fresh and it still has that chewiness
  • The dressing is not too overwhelming, it matches the salmon and the green onions
  • I don't know if it is a special feature or not, the salmon is semi-frost (?). I mean it's still hard/icy in some parts. I take that as something special while EU says it's a mistake.

Grilled Saba Shima Sushi-6/6

  • $7.8
  • HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!!!!!!!
  • I couldn't stop thinking of it after having this dish! The taste is so unforgettable!
  • The saba (mackerel) is cooked in the right time. It is served softly with some rice in the middle.
  • $7.8 for 6pcs may seem a bit expensive but this is definitely worth it! I'm sure you will love this roll as much as I do!

Chopped Tuna, Green Onion, and Herb Hand Roll-6/6

  • Forgot the price
  • It is a special on that night
  • Neatly presented :)

  • They gave us a generous amount of filling! (which is rare nowadays) The hand rolls are stuffed with tuna and have the right amount of rice
  • The herb goes very well with the tuna and the green onions. It also gives the hand rolls a very nice smell
  • Tuna is soft and fresh
  • Nori (seaweed) is not bland and is still crunchy


Guu Garden on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment