M101-888 Nelson Street, Vancouver BC
1:Yucks! 2:Improvement needed 3:So-So~ 4:Good 5:Very good 6:Heavenly
- New Guu branch
- Authentic Japanese restaurant
- All chefs and waitresses are Japanese
- Mon-Sun 5:30pm-12am
- Everyone will greet you warmly when you enter the restaurant
- Focus on oden
- Odd location; it is pretty hard to find...
- Get busier at night
- For large group, they recommend customers to pre-order their prefer Oden menu when making reservation.
- You can choose either to try their cocktails or tea
- Each ingredient has a different price, from $1.5-7.8
- Soy sauce based oden with light soup
- They have Today's Oden on Today's Special sheet
- See that muddy yellowish paste on the side of the pot? It's wasabi and it goes well with the balls. You should try it ;)
- Mochi Tofu Bag-5.5/6
- Everything is edible, including the white thing that is used to tie the bag
- Eu and I were totally surpised by this little bag! At first, we didn't expect anything from it by its outlook; we thought it's just an ordinary fluffy tofu ball. However, when I bit open the bag, it was filled with mochi inside!
- The mochi is really chewy and sofy, it's like a half-melted marshmellow (without the sweetness)
- The white thing that is used to tie the bag (uhh I don't know what it is called) is chewy as well
- Highly recommend for mochi lovers! EU, who is one of them, loves this so much!
- Ganmo Tofu Ball-4/6
- Nothing special about this ball; it's like those ordinary tofu balls you have in hot-pot
- It is a bit more chewy though
- Fluffy Fish Cake-3.5/6
- It is quite fluffy compare to other ordinary fish balls/fish cakes
- If you order this, I suggest you eat it first because it gets really soft after staying in the broth for a while
- Maybe because it already got so soft when I tried it, I didn't really like it's texture. It's too soft for me.
- Ginkyo Nuts-5/6
- They gave me more than I expected. I thought they gave me two orders but when I asked them, they told me this is one order :)
- I am a ginkyo nuts fan! Even though they do not have much taste, Guu Garden is able to cook them in the right texture. Chewy and crunchy enough for me!
Miso Oden-5.5/6 (for fried egg), n/a (for taro jelly)
- $1.5 each
- EU ordered the taro jelly so I didn't try it
- EU said the taro jelly is chewy and she likes it
- The fried egg is better than I expected. It is soft and fluffy. And it does not taste oily.
- The miso sauce is not salty, which is good; instead, it has a hint of sweetness. I like it ;)
- Salmon is fresh and it still has that chewiness
- The dressing is not too overwhelming, it matches the salmon and the green onions
- I don't know if it is a special feature or not, the salmon is semi-frost (?). I mean it's still hard/icy in some parts. I take that as something special while EU says it's a mistake.
- HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!!!!!!!
- I couldn't stop thinking of it after having this dish! The taste is so unforgettable!
- The saba (mackerel) is cooked in the right time. It is served softly with some rice in the middle.
- $7.8 for 6pcs may seem a bit expensive but this is definitely worth it! I'm sure you will love this roll as much as I do!
- Forgot the price
- It is a special on that night
- Neatly presented :)
- They gave us a generous amount of filling! (which is rare nowadays) The hand rolls are stuffed with tuna and have the right amount of rice
- The herb goes very well with the tuna and the green onions. It also gives the hand rolls a very nice smell
- Tuna is soft and fresh
- Nori (seaweed) is not bland and is still crunchy