Pages

Monday, March 29, 2010

Charcoal Sushi & BBQ Restaurant

Charcoal Sushi & BBQ Restaurant is near Empire Seafood Restaurant. To be honest, judging from it's location and it's outlook, I didn't expect much from Charcoal Sushi. Another reason is it's still a new restaurant, the chefs and waiters might not be skillful enough. In an ordinary Sunday, EU suggested Charcoal Sushi. So here we go!

Charcoal Sushi & BBQ Restaurant
#250-7997 Westminster Hwy, Richmond BC

Ratings
1:Yucks! 2:Improvement needed 3:So-So~ 4:Good 5:Very good 6:Heavenly

Food: 4.5
Price: 4.5
Service: 4
Ambiance: 4.5
Overall: 4.5
  • fusion of Japanese and Korean BBQ
  • run by Chinese
  • kid-friendly, suitable for large families
  • lunch combos available
  • large variety of special rolls
  • have an extra photo album including pictures of some of their dishes
Sockeye Salmon Sashimi-3/6
  • I forgot the price
  • not impressive...it is still acceptable though but I'm sure I have had better ones
The Submarine-4/6
  • I forgot the price
  • this is one of their special rolls; I can't recall what the fillings are but there are wakame salad on top of each roll
  • the size of the rolls are acceptable; kind of like bite-size pieces
  • they didn't drizzle the rolls with much sauce, which is good
House Roll-4/6
  • I forgot the price
  • I am not really sure about the fillings, but I remember it has tuna, avocado, crab, cucumber, and salmon
  • it is different compare to typical "House Roll" because they are not as big as the others are
  • it is just a roll that includes all kinds of ingredients, apart from this, nothing is special about this roll

Tuna Tataki-2/6

  • I forgot the price
  • I'm not sure whether you can see the ponzu sauce or not. They added waayyy too much sauce into the delicate tuna pieces. Even though I love the sourness of ponzu sauce, I think the sauce has covered all the flavour of the tuna.
  • I don't understand why they have to cut the tuna into tiny little pieces!
  • apart from the ponzu sauce, they have added too much garlic to this dish. I can hardly taste the tuna and its texture.

Special Request-5/6

  • it is actually come from one of their special rolls, but since I don't like eating avocado, and I can't eat prawns/shrimps, EU and I decided to ask them for a change (+$1 extra)
  • crab and mango, topped with tuna and salmon tempura
  • everything is alright except EU found the mango was a little bit sour

1 comment:

  1. Hi , I think they cut the tuna into smaller pieces because the dishes there are meant to be shared by everyone at the table/the people who wanted to eat it. Plus Charcoal tries to put a modern twist on the traditional food.

    Thank you for the review.

    ReplyDelete