Pages

Monday, July 05, 2010

Red Bean Bun Battle Cont'd #5

It's gettin' there, it's gettin' there. I think this Red Bean Bun Battle is going to an end soon. I want to try as many bakeries as possible before I (officially) start my summer vacation: a trip to Hong Kong.

These are the previous reviews of all the Red Bean Bun I have tried:
Maxim's at Richmond Centre-Red Bean Bun Battle #1
Red Bean Bun Battle #2 (La Patisserie, Michele Cake Shop, Wheat Garden Bakery, Langley Farm Market Bakery)
Red Bean Bun Battle #3 (Castle Cake Shop, Kam Do Restaurant & Bakery, Pine House Bakery at Parket Place, Regent Bakery)
Red Bean Bun Battle #4 (De Fresh Bakery at Empire Supermarket, Saint Germain Bakery at Aberdeen Centre)

So, here we go again! :) The first stop is the well-known Yaohan Centre.

Yaohan Centre Osaka Supermarket Bakery
#1000-3700 No.3 Rd, Richmond BC

Ratings
1:Yucks! 2:Improvement needed 3:So-So~ 4:Good 5:Very good 6:Heavenly

Food: 4 (including the cooked, steamed food)
Price: 4.5 (really depends which food you buy)
Service: 4
Ambiance: n/a
Overall: 4
  • Mon-Sun 9:30am-11pm
  • One of the most popular Asian supermarkets
  • Parking available
  • Be prepared for customers may go crazy when they see something on sale, especially the fruits and produces. That's the reason why I hate going to the Osaka Supermarket. Maybe that's just my problem :/
  • Busy busy busy every day, even any time
  • Their bakery has a lot of buns for you to choose. If you don't like buns, they also have cakes and other Asian desserts.
Red Bean Mochi Bun-4/6
  • $1.29
  • When I was looking for the Red Bean Bun, I saw this on the shelf. I am not a fan of mochi (except the freshly made ones), but this was really the first time I saw a Red Bean Mochi Bun, so I gotta try it.
  • Tastewise. The bun was not as soft as the other ones I tried previously, and the red bean paste filling was average.
  • I can't compare this bun with the others because I think the "main focus" of this bun is the mochi, not the red bean filling nor the bun.
  • Okay, so if I put all those red beans aside, the "mochi-ness" of the bun was actually quite impressive. I didn't expect to see that much amount of mochi in the bun!
  • Still, the Japanese ones are definitely better ;) But I won't discourage you to give this bun a try.
Red Bean Paste Bun-3.5/6
  • $1.09
  • They have both Red Bean Paste Bun and Red Bean Bun, which I will talk about it later.
  • The bun's outlook is similar to the one from Kam Do. (To read my review on it, please read the Red Bean Bun Battle Cont'd #3.)
  • The bun was somewhat tough, but they did fill it with a decent amount of red bean paste.
Red Bean Bun-4/6
  • $1.09
  • Similar to the Red Bean Paste Bun, it was also topped with bits of black sesame seeds. However, the shape went back to a regular dome shape this time ;)
  • Everything turned opposite. The bun was very soft, but totally not enough filling :(
  • I will prefer this bun than the Red Bean Paste Bun though, since this bun was softer than the first one.
  • Everytime when I see bakeries have two different kinds of red bean buns, it makes me want to compare them and see whether there is really a difference between "Red Bean" and "Red Bean Paste" ;D
  • So, no exception this time. Despite how similar they both look like, the Red Bean Bun did have bits of red beans in the filling. I was satisfied to see that, heheehe.

After finishing two buns from Yaohan Centre, I walked further until I saw the Union Square. I remembered there's a bakery, so I went there first before I moved forward. Janice Cake Shop
#1106-8328 Capstan Way, Richmond BC

Ratings
1:Yucks! 2:Improvement needed 3:So-So~ 4:Good 5:Very good 6:Heavenly

Food: n/a
Price: 4
Service: 2 (I wanted to give a 1 because the services were really unfriendly in my first few visits, until another girl served me this time, she was better.)
Ambiance: n/a
Overall: n/a

  • Mon-Sun 9:30am-7pm
  • Run by Chinese (I'm not sure, but I think it's operated by a Chinese lady.)
  • Cakes and cookies are also available in store
  • Parking available
  • It is quite hidden, and is located next to K Fever. You can also find other restaurants in the same mall, like Richmond Sushi, Pho Tai Hoa, Lucky Fortune Seafood Restaurant, and Gala Seafood Restaurant.
Red Bean Paste Bun-5.5/6
  • $1.23
  • Despite the service sucks, their buns were actually pretty good! The bun was very soft, and...
  • It was LOADED with red beans!
  • The amount of bun is not in proportion to the amount of filling, but I'm totally fine with that ;) I was very impressed with their Red Bean Bun; it may be the best one so far.
  • The only thing I did not like about the bun was the amount of seasame seeds on the bun. There were waay too many black and white sesame seeds.
Janice Cake Shop on Urbanspoon

After finishing such an awesome bun, I walked to the Continental Mall/Plaza on Sexsmith Rd. I saw there's a bakery on Sexsmith, but was not sure whether it's located inside the mall or not. Anyway, I went to the mall and made sure I didn't miss any bakery ;D Mega Bakery
#1163-3779 Sexsmith Rd, Richmond BC (at Continental Mall/Plaza)

Ratings
1:Yucks! 2:Improvement needed 3:So-So~ 4:Good 5:Very good 6:Heavenly

Food: n/a (I will try more next time!)
Price: n/a
Service: 5
Ambiance: n/a
Overall: n/a

  • Mon-Sun 8:30am-7pm
  • Run by a Chinese lady (She's very nice :))
  • Many choices of buns available
  • They also have cakes, Chinese dumplings, Chinese pastries, and turnip cakes available in store.
  • If you have trouble finding it (like I did at first), it is located right next to New Asia Deli Restaurant. You can also find Pearl Castle, Dragon View Chinese Cuisine, and Posh in the same mall.
Red Bean Bun-4.5/6
  • $1.22
  • Like other regular buns, it is also topped with some black sesame seeds.
  • The bun was quite big, and was tightly wrapped in the plastic bag. It was average: soft and fluffy.
  • Now, this is what I call the "right proportion"! Haha ;) 50% of the bun, 50% of red bean filling.
  • Moderate filling; I did find bits of red beans in the it though.
Mega Bakery on Urbanspoon

Another bakery came to my mind was Maple Castella (which I have reviewed previously on their AWESOME bread loaves here, here, and here). Although I was not sure whether they sell red bean buns or not, but I really had to give it a visit. I mean, it's Maple Castella, it's one of my favourite bakeries in town! :DMaple Castella Bakery
#1068-8700 McKim Way, Richmond BC

Ratings
1:Yucks! 2:Improvement needed 3:So-So~ 4:Good 5:Very good 6:Heavenly

Food: 6
Price: 5.5
Service: 6
Ambiance: n/a
Overall: 6

  • Mon-Sat 9:30am-7pm (except Thursdays) Sun 9:30am-6pm
    Closed on Thursdays
  • Chinese/Taiwanese Bakery
  • Famous for their bread loaves. They have three flavours: pumpkin, taro, and pork floss. (Oh I wish they have red bean!)
  • One of the most popular bakeries to Chinese in Richmond
  • Hole-in-the-wall; you will not notice how good their buns are by judging their outlook/location ;)
  • Compare to other local bakeries, they don't really have a lot of buns to choose. But that doesn't really matter; their bread loaves are already good enough, really.
  • Parking available

Red Bean Bun-4/6

  • $1.12
  • I was really excited to try it, given how crazy I was after trying their Pumpkin Bread Loaf.

  • The bun itself did not disappoint; it was very soft and fluffy.
  • The red bean filling looked like pork floss to me at first. They gave a respectable amount of filling, but it was a bit too sweet for my liking. Its filling was the sweetest among all the red bean/red bean paste buns I have tried.
Maple Castella Bakery on Urbanspoon

An off-topic: Where is Bubble Queen? Do I have to say goodbye to their amazing egg waffles? :(

No comments:

Post a Comment