Okay, I admit I have cravings sometimes. I mean I have cravings for other food apart from Japanese food. Last week, when I was checking the Bakery List in Richmond from Urbanspoon, the pictures of Maple Castella came to my sight. Ohhhh, I was craving for its Pumpkin Bread for the whole night!
For my last two visits to Maple Castella, please visit the following links:
Maple Castella #1
Maple Castella #2
After having lunch today at about 2:10pm, EU and I decided to visit Maple Castella. Also given the fact that it's about 2pm, which is the time for the fresh bread loaves to come out from the ovens, we could not give ourselves a reason for not giving them a visit!
We only had a light lunch, so EU suggested to give their Pork Floss Bread a try. Since we've already tried the other two sweet bread loaves, so yea, why not?
Maple Castella Bakery
#1068-8700 McKim Way, Richmond BC
1:Yucks! 2:Improvement needed 3:So-So~ 4:Good 5:Very good 6:Heavenly
Ambiance: n/a (It's a bakery)
- Mon-Sat 9:30am-7pm (Except Thursdays) Sun 9:30am-6pm
Closed on Thursdays
- Chinese/Taiwanese bakery
- Baked fresh daily
- Popular to Chinese
- Hole-in-the-wall; location is pretty hard to find.
- Except the flavoured bread loaves, other plain white bread loaves avialable as well.
- Other Taiwanese buns available
- Parking available
- If you want to dig in right after you buy the bread, there's a food court upstairs ;)
- $8/loaf ($4/half loaf)
- Other flavours: Taro, Pumpkin
- According to EU, their flavoured bread loaves are a bit more expensive than other bakeries.
- The loaf above was the middle section of the bread. Before I tore the bread into pieces, it looked simple to me. I was thinking: where's the pork floss?
- After I gently tore a pieces of bread, I started to see some brown pork floss coming out.
- The pork floss here wasn't the one I have had before. The typical ones are dry, but this is kind of moist and crumbly.
- Judging by the photo above, some of you may think there's not much filling. However, the pork floss is layered between each piece of bread! Yes, I mean layers. You see some pork floss, then a thin layer of super-soft bread, and then pork floss again. I love how they put the ingredients like that :)
- The bread was topped with some cheese which gave the bread an extra savoury taste.
- The bread itself was as fluffy and as soft as usual.
Even though the Pork Floss Bread tasted well in general, EU and I still prefer the sweet ones, especially the Pumpkin Bread! We like the chunkier filling and the stronger taste in the Pumpkin Bread.
Seriously, I always see their bread as "unbeatable" bread; they are really good. Make sure you give them a visit when you visit Richmond. They will never disappoint you ;)
(FYI: If you're aiming for their bread loaves, make sure you arrive there at about 2pm or give them a call to reserve a loaf!)