Pages

Monday, May 24, 2010

Banana Leaf

After having lunch at Kerrisdale, EU and I headed to Metrotown to pick up some groceries and a cold fro-yo from Qoola. Then we decided to go to Kaide Sushi Bar in Yaletown for dinner.

We did not know that it was closed for today until we arrived. Since we're already in Downtown, EU suggested let's go to Banana Leaf on Denman Street instead. Hmmm...Malaysian cuisine sounds interesting to me and, I've read posts about it before, so yeah, why not.


Banana Leaf
1096 Denman St, Vancouver BC

Ratings
1:Yucks! 2:Improvement needed 3:So-So~ 4:Good 5:Very good 6:Heavenly

Food: 4.5
Price: 3.5
Service: 3.5
Ambiance: 4.5
Overall: 4

  • Mon-Thur Lunch: 11:30am-3pm Dinner: 5pm-10pm
    Fri-Sat 11:30am-11pm
    Sun 11:30am-10pm
  • No reservation
  • Other locations are on Broadway and in Kitsilano (To see more details, please check their website.)
  • Award-winning Malaysian restaurant

  • I like their atmosphere (especially with the smell of the spices), but they don't have many seatings. It is a bit cramp inside.

Roti Canai-4/6

  • $6/2pcs
  • Flaky layered bread that is commonly found in Indian/Malaysian restaurants.
  • EU and I was a fan of roti! This is always a must-order everytime when we visit a Malaysian restaurant.

  • It was served with a curry dip, which was a little bit spicy but I think everyone is able to handle that.
  • Compare the ones in Tropika, which also has a location nearby in 1128 Robson Street, Banana Leaf's were a bit dry and less chewy. On the good side though, Tropika's roti canai was oilier.
  • I then figured out $6 was not worthy for a side dish/appetizer. Again, the ones in Tropika only cost $2.95 with the same amount.
Gado-Gado-4.5/6
  • $7
  • Cooked bean sprout tofu salad, potato, green beans, garnished with cucumber, topped with hard-boiled egg & home-style peanut dressing.
  • Originally, EU planned to order the Papaya & Pineapple Green Salad with Crushed Peanut, but this caught my sight when I saw the word "tofu". Yes I am a tofu lover that I totally overlooked the "peanut dressing" part and other ingredients.
    Luckily, the peanut dressing was not overpowering at all :) And it had lots of beans and vegetables underneath the bean sprouts.
  • I found the flavour was alright, but EU said it could be more flavourful.
  • Overall, the bean sprouts and the beans were very crunchy, and I enjoyed having this as my appetizer. It also went well with my roti canai.

Sambal Chili Fried Okra, Eggplant & Green Bean-5/6

  • $13
  • Stir-fried vegetable with small shrimps & tomato in dried shrimp paste "Belacan".
  • You can order mild to extremely hot. We chose not spicy for this dish.
  • It smelt and looked so good when it came to our table! I love the spices they have added to this dish.

  • The shrimps were fresh and crunchy, but I didn't try many because I am allergic to them.
  • The beans were the same in the Gado-Gado; they were crunchy as well.
  • I love okra and eggplant! Banana Leaf did a good job here as okra and eggplant tend to get soft easily once they are cooked. The eggplant was still juicy, the okra's texture was still there.

The food was average but I do like the atmosphere in this small Malaysian restaurant. Given the fact that the last time I had Malaysian food was in Tropika (Richmond), I couldn't help but to compare them. Tropika offer more choices on their menu, and the prices seem cheaper.

Banana Leaf is still a good Malaysian restaurant to try, not to mention it is one of the award-winning restaurants in Vancouver! (You can check the awards they have won from 1997-2009 on their website!)

Banana Leaf (Denman) on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment