Still, I wanted to find a similar restaurant like Banzai...with a "higher level". I discovered Matsuyama long time ago and have made regular visits when I want to grab some Japanese food.
This Sunday, while I had no idea where to go for dinner, EU suggested Matsuyama. Japanese food? Sushi? Sashimi? Ok I am here.
Matsuyama Japanese Restaurant
110-8500 Alexandra Rd, Richmond BC
1:Yucks! 2:Improvement needed 3:So-So~ 4:Good 5:Very good 6:Heavenly
- For lunch: Sun-Mon 11am-2:30pm
For dinner: Sun-Thurs: 5pm-12am Fri-Sat: 5pm-1am
- Run by Chinese
- Have 2-3 Japanese chefs in the sushi bar
- Dine in/Take out (Free delivery with $25 minimum)
- Parking available
- Popular to locals/Chinese
- Lunch combos, bento boxes, and combos available
- Late night menu after 9pm
- Special rolls available
- Large variety in menu
- Gets busy at night
- Slightly over-priced. With a comparatively higher price, they did not serve a bigger portion of Wakame Salad compare to other Japanese restaurants.
- Nothing to shout about as this was pre-made.
- They offer quite a lot of specialty rolls, ranging from $4.25-10.95.
- Crab salad and asparagus topped with smoked salmon
- The smoked salmon smelt really good, and it certainly tasted good as well.
- The asparagus was a bit tough.
- Overall, this roll was well-executed; all ingredients were wrapped tightly and the sushi rice had its proper vinegary flavour.
- Notice: They don't have 1/2 serving; you have to order 9pcs each time!
- Yes, the sashimi here is a bit pricier, but with its generous portion, I find it is quite worthy.
- EU and I both love the sourness in the saba! Does anyone know why saba sashimi always comes with a hint of sourness? For preservation?
- Oh, how I miss tuna sashimi! The last two times I had tuna was in Gyoza King and Sushi Oyama, but the tuna from both restaurants tasted mushy and bland; I was wondering whether it's not the season for good tuna sashimi :/ Ok, back to the tuna! The ones here were far from mushy; instead, they were fishy and chewy. I did have a good time enjoying these ;)
From its outlook, Matsuyama does look like a creepy restaurant as you cannot see through the windows from the outside. However, do give it a try! Maybe you will leave with something unexpected :)