Since my birthday was a monday, EU and I decided to start celebrating in the weekend. So, we ended up visiting different restaurants for lunches and dinners. Of course, some of my favourite restaurants were on our To-go list ;) One thing I didn't expect much was the cake. Yea, I know that sounds silly (because it's a birthday duh?), but honestly, I am not a dessert person (except for Chinese Red Bean/Green Bean Soup!).
Last sunday, I got home after dinner and, tried to calm down and get ready for my busy school work. Just when I thought everything was coming to an end, something appeared that had brought me back to the state of shock. Held by EU, smiling and saying "Happy Birthday!", it was just an ordinary paper box. Wait, I've seen that paper box somewhere before....Oh yes, it's from the well-known Ganache Patisserie.
1262 Homer StVancouver, BC
- Sun-Mon 11am-5pm Tue-Fri 11am-6pm Sat 11am-7pm
- Modern French pastries, chocolates, sweets, and cakes available
- One of the most well-known pastry shops in Vancouver
- Run by a Chinese pastry chef, Peter Fong
- Everything is hand-made at their Yaletown location
- Wedding cake services available
- Green tea mousse, mango-passionfruit gelée, lychees, and black sesame biscuit joconde
- It was nicely decorated with milk and white chocolates. EU and I decided to finish them before digging into the cake.
- The two layers of green tea mousse and black sesame biscuit joconde were clearly seen. I got really excited when EU was describing the cake; she KNOWS what I like ;)
- Just by looking at the black sesame biscuit joconde with those black sesame dots, I couldn't wait to give that a bite!
- The orange layer is the mango-passionfruit gelée, and the lychees are under it.
- I was surprised by the lychees because I seldom find a cake with lychees in it.
- Oh my, I just love the green tea mousse! It was very greentea-ish! Maybe some of you may find it a little bitter, but it tastes fine to me ;)
- I was also surprised by the black sesame biscuit joconde. At first, I thought it would be those heavy-tasting cake base; however, it turned out to be very light! I could taste the black sesame bits as well! I love it.
- The mango-passionfruit gelée was a bit sour in general, maybe because the other components were not too sweet, so its flavour stood out more.
- Overall, it is not a heavy cake. Most ingredients do not have a strong flavour, but is still able to satisfy your sweet tooth. Believe it or not, EU and I finished the ENTIRE CAKE! (Don't forget that we just finished dinner, haha :)