Pages

Saturday, July 03, 2010

Red Bean Bun Battle Cont'd #4

The Red Bean Bun Battle is back! Actually I tried all these buns on the same day, but I just tried to post them separately :P To read my first three posts, pleases click here, here, and here.

In order to find the bakeries in Richmond, I, of course, rely on Urbanspoon. However, sometimes I discovered some unfamiliar bakeries that I have not heard of or seen before; De Fresh Bakery is one of the examples.
De Fresh Bakery
111-4600 No.3 Rd, Richmond BC

Ratings
1:Yucks! 2:Improvement needed 3:So-So~ 4:Good 5:Very good 6:Heavenly

Food: n/a
Price: 5
Service: 5
Ambiance: n/a
Overall: n/a

  • Located in the Empire Supermarket (I had a hard time finding it at first...) It is located at the Empire Centre where you can also find Pink Swirl and Shiang Garden Seafood Restaurant.
  • Run by a Chinese couple
  • Parking available

Red Bean Bun-5/6
  • $1
  • Topped with some poppy seeds, which I love.

  • The bun was super soft and fluffy!

  • The red bean paste filling they used were different from the other ones I've tried. It was moist and really got bits of red beans in it. Another good thing was they gave a generous amount of filling to the bun!
  • I was wondering whether they used the prepacked red bean paste or, they actually steamed the red beans then mashed them into paste....Hmmmmmm

When I already prepared to pay, the owner introduced me to another red bean bun they have. I asked him what the difference was, and he said, "One is made with red bean, the other is made with red bean paste." Okay, I had to get both without a doubt since they both have red beans and that's what it's all about ;)

Red Bean Paste Mini Buns-4/6
  • $1.50/3pcs
  • Topped with poppy seeds
  • Again, same with the regular Red Bean Bun, the bun was super soft and fluffy. However, the effect was not as "dramatic" as the last one because the buns were smaller this time.

  • The way how the owner explained the differenences between the two buns made me want to compare them both.

  • Needless to say, there wasn't any difference between them. The buns had the same texture, and the fillings were exactly the same. LOL!

De Fresh Bakery on Urbanspoon

Another must-visit bakery in Richmond is Saint Germain Bakery. I have tried their other buns previously and do not find them particularly impressive, but given its popularity, I have to try their Red Bean Bun, right?

Saint Germain Bakery
4151 Hazelbridge Way, Richmond BC (located at Aberdeen Centre)

Ratings
1:Yucks! 2:Improvement needed 3:So-So~ 4:Good 5:Very good 6:Heavenly

Food: 3.5
Price: 4.5
Service: 3.5
Ambiance: n/a
Overall: 4

  • Mon-Wed 11am-7pm Thur-Sat 11am-9pm Sun 11am-7pm
  • Parking available (It's kind of crazy, but be patient ;))
  • Popular to Chinese
  • The services were not friendly all the time. As I observed, they only greet those customers who they are familiar with.
  • Drinks available (but I seldom see people buy coffees there)
  • Other locations at Oakridge Mall, Metrotown, and on Denman Street. For more information, please visit their website.
  • Cakes, cookies, and pastries are also available
  • "Founded in 1986"
  • No artificial essence. They use fresh, local ingredients, and import some ingredients from other parts of Canada.
  • Apart from Canada, they also have retail and wholesale in Seattle and Los Angeles.

Red Bean Bun-4.5/6

  • $1.10
  • Topped with some sesame seeds

  • The bun was very soft. That's why it looks so flat in the picture (sorry about that).

  • With that flat/small amount of bun, I could really see that they gave a lot of filling! I enjoy eating every bite of this bun!
  • The first time when I tried their Red Bean Bun, I even got flour between the bun and the paper. Interesting....maybe it's there just to prevent the bun from sticking to the piece of paper when it was baking :/

Saint Germain Bakery on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment