Pages

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Miura Waffle Milk Bar Revisited-Free sample tasting!

I was twittering yesterday and saw a tweet from Miura Waffle Milk Bar, saying: "Free Samples Tomorrow (Sat) between 6-8pm! We will be sampling: HEC, Hoisin, Bulgogi, Wasabi Salmon & 2 new Sweet Waffle Sandos!"

"Free waffle samples". Of course, I knew I have to go and try some waffles that I didn't have the chance to try last time.
Miura Waffle Milk Bar
829 Davie St, Vancouver BC

Ratings
1:Yucks! 2:Improvement needed 3:So-So~ 4:Good 5:Very good 6:Heavenly

Food: 5
Price: 5.5
Service: 6
Ambiance: 5.5
Overall: 6

  • Summer Hours - Mon-Sun 10am-2pm 5pm-11pm
  • Run by a (Japanese?) couple
  • Dine in/Take out (They are now one of "Vancouver's Best Takeout" chosen by the Vancouver Magazine!)
  • They serve both savoury and sweet waffles.
  • Everything is made upon order (except the coffee of course).
  • To make it a perfect breakfast/lunch/dinner, you can +$2 for a soup/salad.
  • For drinks, they have home-made flavoured milk, yakult with milk, and coffees.
  • Free wi-fi

BeforeAfter

  • I also noticed something different this time. Now they have a new counter with waffle-makers lining up next to the cashier! I didn't take a closer shot of that; but really, the new counter was neat and organized.
  • They offer quite a number of seatings. You can choose to sit outside if you want ;)
Free sampling going on outside...
Given such hot weather, I chose to sit inside, a table that was close to the window. I did not pay special attention to the people's reactions; yet, I believe the results today are pretty good :)
Mango Flavoured Milk-4/6
  • $2.99
  • This was not on the menu in my first visit. I think this was added about a month ago.
  • It was not sweet, and not strong in mango flavour. There was a hint of tartness when I kept it in my mouth longer.
  • What interested me the most was its consistency. It was creamy and smooth. Don't get me wrong. The creaminess was not the one you find in desserts.
  • I've tried the strawberry and the coffee flavoured ones. If my memory serves me right, this consistency is different from the previous ones.
  • After trying all three flavours, I will still prefer the coffee one. Maybe I'm a little bit bias, given the fact that I am a coffee lover ;)
Banana Caramel Waffle Sando-3.5/6
  • There was a dilemma: I hate caramel, but I like banana-flavoured goods. Still, I decided to give it a try. I mean...it's a sample anyway ;D
  • A slice of fresh banana on a dollop of cream with some caramel dressing
  • Normally, I will order something less sweet when I am in a Western dessert shops/restaurants. So when this sample came, I saw those caramel on top of the waffle, I began to worry this might be too sweet for me.
  • HOWEVER, this was definitely not as sweet as those typical cakes, cookies, or other desserts! I mean, even though you are not a dessert-lover, you can still take this.
  • The caramel dressing and the cream were not (overly) sweet. Great.
  • The waffle was served warm and soft, and rich in egg flavour. If they add some banana flavour to the waffle, I am sure it will be extra good.
  • Apart from this Banana waffle, there was also another new sweet waffle that day: tiramisu.
Hoisin Sausage Waffle Sando-5/6
  • $5.99
  • Pork and pickled veggie with some spicy sauce
  • This savoury waffle was also soft and rich in egg flavour.
  • It smelt really good when it came. The smell of the sauce and the pickled veggie came right off the waffle...
  • The pickled veggie went very well with the sauce. This combination reminded me of those Vietnamese subs...
  • So, where's the pork? This is another thing they impress me the most: creativity. This time, they sandwich-ed the pork with the batter, causing there were two layers in each waffle.
  • The minced pork was cooked nicely; soft and a little salty.
  • Overall, the flavour of the minced pork, pickled veggie, and the sauce went very well together. You will feel the spiciness of the sauce when you begin to swallow ;)

While I was waiting for my samples and the Wasabi Salmon Waffle that I ordered to-go, I could portray myself sitting there with/without friends, chatting, using my laptop, reading, or even relaxing in a hot afternoon. I can see Miura is constantly improving themselves, including the well-improved counter, new summer hours, new stand-menu outside, and most importantly, ALWAYS adding new items to their menu. Constantly improving...is this what a good restaurant/shop should be? :)

Miura Waffle Milk Bar on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment