Pages

Tuesday, July 06, 2010

New Town Bakery & Restaurant-Red Bean Bun Battle Cont'd #6

Finally. I've finally finished taking all the photos I need for this post. The first time when I decided to take some final shots of their steamed buns, I couldn't wait after I got the buns and started to put them into my mouth. The second time, I successfully took the photos, but deleted them by accident. Now, these photos are here. I can finally review on one of the best and one of my favourite bakeries in town :)

To read my previous reviews on other Red Bean Buns I've tried, click here (it also has all the links to other reviews).


New Town Bakery & Restaurant
#4-6360 No.3 Rd, Richmond BC (the mall next to Brighouse Skytrain Station)

Ratings
1:Yucks! 2:Improvement needed 3:So-So~ 4:Good 5:Very good 6:Heavenly

Food: 5.5 (based on their buns only)
Price: 6
Service: 4.5
Ambiance: 3.5 (Actually it's more like a bakery than a restaurant...)
Overall: 5
  • Mon-Sun 10am-7pm (closed on Wednesdays)
  • Other branches are located in Chinatown (main branch), Surrey, and on South Cambie Street
  • Run by Filipino
  • All buns are baked and steamed fresh daily
  • Other Filipino products are available in store
  • They also have Filipino cooked foods, but their buns are definitely more popular.
  • Simple setting; only about three tables and a few chairs available. But that doesn't really matter because most customers are here for their buns (take-away).

  • These are just a part of the customers at that time. It was craaazy! Each customer order at least a dozen of buns (mostly steamed buns).
  • At first, I thought I can avoid the crowd if I went there at about 10 sth. I did try; however, they only have #5 Chicken Deluxe (See menu below) in the morning :( Don't go too late though. I think about 11-12 is the best timing.

  • Ta-da! This is the menu of their famous steamed buns. As you can on the bottom, you don't have to pay the GST if you buy 6 or more buns.
  • All baked buns and pastries are sold half-price after 6pm.
  • If you are not a fan of steamed buns, no worries. They also have other Chinese and Filipino breads and cakes.

  • They also sell frozen steamed buns, so you can make them at home.

Red Bean Bun-3.5/6
  • $0.90
  • There was a glazing on the top of the bun. Standard glazing: sweet and really sticky.

  • The bun was a bit tough for my liking, but was laden with red bean paste filling.
Steamed Sweet Black Bean Paste-5.5/6
  • $1.10
  • The big steamed bun was served lukewarm. Apparently, it was bigger compare to the typical steamed buns I used to have.
  • The bun was soft and chewy. Steam began to come out once I tore it into half. Yum.
  • The steamed bun was loaded with filling! No wonder it is so weighty! ;)
  • The red bean filling this time was more paste-y than the regular Red Bean Bun. I will certainly prefer this because its consistency stays longer in my mouth. Mmmmmmmmmm...
Steamed Vegetable Bun-6/6
  • $1.50
  • The bun was also served lukewarm. Its size, weight, and texture were same as the red bean bun.
  • Needless to say, the red "V" marking on the bun was a symbol for them to identify the bun.
  • As I mentioned just now, this bun was as heavy as the Steamed Red Bean Bun. Steam came right out once I tore the bun and, the fully-loaded fillings started to emerge.
  • I've also tried their Chicken Bun but did not get a shot of that. The Steamed Vegetable Bun was relatively less flavourful, of course; but it's still good on its own :)

I really recommend you to give their baked and steamed buns a try. They definitely taste different than the ones in the restaurant. I hate queues and hate to see people go crazy over something; but New Town Bakery is an exception. I will come back for their steamed buns without a doubt. Also given their location, it's another convenient way to grab lunch/snack when you are in a rush! ;)

New Town Bakery & Restaurant (Richmond) on Urbanspoon

3 comments:

  1. I just want to say that all the information you have given here is awesome...great and nice blog thanks sharing. Thank you very much for this one. And I hope this will be useful for many people.. and I am waiting for your next post keep on updating these kinds of knowledgeable things...
    Online Cake Delivery Services in Indore

    Online Cake Delivery in Indore

    Cake Delivery Services in Indore

    ReplyDelete
  2. revlon titanium max edition - The best gaming machines
    The titanium mug best gaming machines available for titanium dioxide sunscreen the ultimate gaming titanium price per ounce experience in the world. titanium necklace Classic or Classic Classic; 2020 ford ecosport titanium Classic; Classic

    ReplyDelete