Pages

Tuesday, July 06, 2010

New Town Bakery & Restaurant-Red Bean Bun Battle Cont'd #6

Finally. I've finally finished taking all the photos I need for this post. The first time when I decided to take some final shots of their steamed buns, I couldn't wait after I got the buns and started to put them into my mouth. The second time, I successfully took the photos, but deleted them by accident. Now, these photos are here. I can finally review on one of the best and one of my favourite bakeries in town :)

To read my previous reviews on other Red Bean Buns I've tried, click here (it also has all the links to other reviews).


New Town Bakery & Restaurant
#4-6360 No.3 Rd, Richmond BC (the mall next to Brighouse Skytrain Station)

Ratings
1:Yucks! 2:Improvement needed 3:So-So~ 4:Good 5:Very good 6:Heavenly

Food: 5.5 (based on their buns only)
Price: 6
Service: 4.5
Ambiance: 3.5 (Actually it's more like a bakery than a restaurant...)
Overall: 5
  • Mon-Sun 10am-7pm (closed on Wednesdays)
  • Other branches are located in Chinatown (main branch), Surrey, and on South Cambie Street
  • Run by Filipino
  • All buns are baked and steamed fresh daily
  • Other Filipino products are available in store
  • They also have Filipino cooked foods, but their buns are definitely more popular.
  • Simple setting; only about three tables and a few chairs available. But that doesn't really matter because most customers are here for their buns (take-away).

  • These are just a part of the customers at that time. It was craaazy! Each customer order at least a dozen of buns (mostly steamed buns).
  • At first, I thought I can avoid the crowd if I went there at about 10 sth. I did try; however, they only have #5 Chicken Deluxe (See menu below) in the morning :( Don't go too late though. I think about 11-12 is the best timing.

  • Ta-da! This is the menu of their famous steamed buns. As you can on the bottom, you don't have to pay the GST if you buy 6 or more buns.
  • All baked buns and pastries are sold half-price after 6pm.
  • If you are not a fan of steamed buns, no worries. They also have other Chinese and Filipino breads and cakes.

  • They also sell frozen steamed buns, so you can make them at home.

Red Bean Bun-3.5/6
  • $0.90
  • There was a glazing on the top of the bun. Standard glazing: sweet and really sticky.

  • The bun was a bit tough for my liking, but was laden with red bean paste filling.
Steamed Sweet Black Bean Paste-5.5/6
  • $1.10
  • The big steamed bun was served lukewarm. Apparently, it was bigger compare to the typical steamed buns I used to have.
  • The bun was soft and chewy. Steam began to come out once I tore it into half. Yum.
  • The steamed bun was loaded with filling! No wonder it is so weighty! ;)
  • The red bean filling this time was more paste-y than the regular Red Bean Bun. I will certainly prefer this because its consistency stays longer in my mouth. Mmmmmmmmmm...
Steamed Vegetable Bun-6/6
  • $1.50
  • The bun was also served lukewarm. Its size, weight, and texture were same as the red bean bun.
  • Needless to say, the red "V" marking on the bun was a symbol for them to identify the bun.
  • As I mentioned just now, this bun was as heavy as the Steamed Red Bean Bun. Steam came right out once I tore the bun and, the fully-loaded fillings started to emerge.
  • I've also tried their Chicken Bun but did not get a shot of that. The Steamed Vegetable Bun was relatively less flavourful, of course; but it's still good on its own :)

I really recommend you to give their baked and steamed buns a try. They definitely taste different than the ones in the restaurant. I hate queues and hate to see people go crazy over something; but New Town Bakery is an exception. I will come back for their steamed buns without a doubt. Also given their location, it's another convenient way to grab lunch/snack when you are in a rush! ;)

New Town Bakery & Restaurant (Richmond) on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment