Pages

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Maxim's at Richmond Centre-Red Bean Bun Battle #1

I know this may sound silly because this "challenge" is all about red bean, a.k.a. the insignificant food you see after having dinner at a Chinese restaurant. Yes I used hate red bean, but it has literally become one of favourite foods! Meanwhile, I have always wanted to try all (or most) bakeries in Richmond.

For that reason, I decide to merge these two things together, and turn it into a Red Bean Bun Challenge.


Maxim's
6060 Minoru Boulevard, Richmond BC (in Richmond Centre, next to The Bay)

Ratings
1:Yucks! 2:Improvement needed 3:So-So~ 4:Good 5:Very good 6:Heavenly

Food: 2.5
Price: 4.5
Service: 2
Ambiant: n/a
Overall: n/a

  • Mon-Tue, Sat 9:30am-7pm Wed-Fri 9:30am-9pm Sun 11am-6pm
  • Parking available
  • Popular Chinese bakery, also a well-known bakery in Hong Kong
  • Drinks available (e.g. coffee, tea)
  • Gets busy all day
  • Small tables available outside the store for people to eat and drink
  • Other locations in Chinatown, Metrotown, and Surrey

Red Bean Bun-2.5/6

  • $0.80
  • Topped with black sesame seeds
  • The dough was too thin, so it was quite tough with the red bean paste.
  • Nothing to shout about the red bean paste really. It was the regular ones I find in the store.

  • On the other side, they did give me a generous amount of filling!

Multigrain Mini Buns-3.5/6

  • $1.30/3pcs

  • This is only one of the three buns, and it sure looks huge here. In fact, it is just as big as my palm ;)
  • Topped with some sesame seeds
  • It wasn't loaded with grains but you can certainly find some in the bun. Also, the grains added crunchiness to the buns!

  • However, the bun itself was not as soft as I expected; it was actually somewhat tough :/
  • On the price, it was quite a good deal. Despite they are "mini" buns, a pack (3 buns) is totally enough for a quick snack/breakfast. (I'm sure about guys though. Maybe they will need two packs?)

Right after I've tried my first red bean bun, I quickly moved to the next bakery!

Maxim's on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment