This was my second time going to North Vancouver. We went to Lonsdale Quay Market and grabbed some gelato, then EU suggested to visit Thomas Haas. I've definitely heard of Thomas Haas-especially its Almond Croissant-but have never tried it before or even visit its store at Kitsilano. Hmm, sounds interesting to me, so why not?
Thomas Haas Fine Chocolates & Patisserie
998 Harbourside Dr, North Vancouver BC
1:Yucks! 2:Improvement needed 3:So-So~ 4:Good 5:Very good 6:Heavenly
- Tue-Sat 8am-5:30pm
Closed on Sundays and Mondays
- (Really) popular to locals
- Dine in/Take out
- Limited seatings
- Famous in pastries and chocolates
- They also sell cookies in a bag, which you can share with friends or even make them as gifts.
- Both coffees and teas available.
- If sweets are not your cup of tea, you can try their soups and sandwiches.
I didn't pay much attention to the chocolates. EU said their Kitsilano location offers more chocolates. Maybe that's a way to attract customers to the Kitsilano store? ;)
Double Baked Almond Croissant-4/6
- One of their bestsellers. It was really popular to the locals; I could see every customer ordering it.
- The crust was crunchy, but I didn't find anything special about the crunchiness.
- EU said the almond paste is the key of this pastry. Maybe because I am not a pro in sweets and pastries, I honestly didn't find the filling special.
- The best thing about this croissant was the sweetness. Unlike many pastries I had in the past, this pastry is sweet but light, and will not make you feel bloated.
- Dark Manjari chocolate-raspberry mousse, light vanilla Bavarian, chocolate sacher sponge cake, and crispy hazelnut wafer
- Another bestseller. Similar to the Almond Croissant, this cake is a staple to many customers.
- The chocolate tasted very rich and creamy, but overall, the cake did not taste as good as I thought :/
- This was my favourite among all orders. The texture was quite firm, but I was okay with that.
- The base was interesting, which was made of nuts (almonds?).
- I also had a cup of Dark Americano which went perfectly with the sweets. I like it a lot :)