Bonchaz Bakery Cafe
426 W Hastings St, Vancouver BC
1:Yucks! 2:Improvement needed 3:So-So~ 4:Good 5:Very good 6:Heavenly
- Mon-Fri 8am-6:30pm Sat 10:30am-5pm
Closed on Sundays
- Dine in/Take out
- Free Wi-fi
- Board games, playing cards, books, and newspapers available
- A good place to relax and hang out with friends
- Deliveries available (surcharge may apply)
- "Freshly baked before your eyes!"
- "The Bonchaz recipe and namesake were inspired by concha, a festive Mexican pastry best known for its soft dough and cookie-like crust." -from the back of their paper bags
- Apart from their well-known bonchaz, they also have sandwiches and soups.
Want both? They offer combos as well.
- Before you order, make sure to check their daily specials on the stand outside the door.
- Other small snacks available (French baguette, brownies, cookies, muffins, etc.)
- They only have a few seatings, but I find most customers choose to take away their orders.
- $1.75/12oz $1.95/16oz
- They use organic fair trade coffee
- I like the idea of using press coffee; it seemed "fresh" when I drank.
- Fresh bananas & California walnuts
- Anything made from bananas (especially the fresh ones) is already an Okay for me, so there may be a little bias here ;)
- It was right from the oven behind the cashier! So, the bun was lukewarm when I received it.
- Topped with chopped walnuts
- The top did resemble the Mexican buns I found in the Asian bakeries/Chinese restaurants; however, Bonchaz's version was less sweet and had more texture.
- I could tell they really used fresh bananas in the bun instead of just using the banana essence. There were chopped walnuts and mashed bananas in the buns. Oh I just wish they can give me more filling! :P
- The bun was soft and crunchy because of the cookie-like crust.
- Creamy matcha filling with coconut flakes
- Again, it was also from the oven behind the cashier, so this was served lukewarm as well.
- I was surprised that the creamy custard did have green tea flavour. When I took a closer look, I figured out that they added green tea powder to make the custard.
- Compare the two buns I had, I would prefer the Banana Walnut because it had more texture and flavour than the Matcha Green Tea.
I will definitely come back! Next time I will like to try the Apple Cinnamon. Though I hate cinnamon, apple in the bun sounds good to me :)