Pages

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Bonchaz Bakery Cafe-Small buns? Yum.

I am no strange to Bonchaz and have always wanted to give it a try. Since I woke up a bit earlier this morning and felt like trying something new, I decided to take the skytrain to Waterfront and gave their little buns a try.


Bonchaz Bakery Cafe
426 W Hastings St, Vancouver BC

Ratings
1:Yucks! 2:Improvement needed 3:So-So~ 4:Good 5:Very good 6:Heavenly

Food: 4.5
Price: 6
Service: 4
Ambiant: 5
Overall: 5

  • Mon-Fri 8am-6:30pm Sat 10:30am-5pm
    Closed on Sundays
  • Dine in/Take out
  • Free Wi-fi
  • Board games, playing cards, books, and newspapers available
  • A good place to relax and hang out with friends
  • Deliveries available (surcharge may apply)
  • "Freshly baked before your eyes!"
  • "The Bonchaz recipe and namesake were inspired by concha, a festive Mexican pastry best known for its soft dough and cookie-like crust." -from the back of their paper bags
  • Apart from their well-known bonchaz, they also have sandwiches and soups.
    Want both? They offer combos as well.
  • Before you order, make sure to check their daily specials on the stand outside the door.
  • Other small snacks available (French baguette, brownies, cookies, muffins, etc.)
  • They only have a few seatings, but I find most customers choose to take away their orders.
  • You can also see them preparing the food here! :D
French Press Coffee
  • $1.75/12oz $1.95/16oz
  • They use organic fair trade coffee
  • I like the idea of using press coffee; it seemed "fresh" when I drank.
Banana Walnut-5.5/6
  • $1.75
  • Fresh bananas & California walnuts
  • Anything made from bananas (especially the fresh ones) is already an Okay for me, so there may be a little bias here ;)
  • It was right from the oven behind the cashier! So, the bun was lukewarm when I received it.
  • Topped with chopped walnuts
  • The top did resemble the Mexican buns I found in the Asian bakeries/Chinese restaurants; however, Bonchaz's version was less sweet and had more texture.

  • I could tell they really used fresh bananas in the bun instead of just using the banana essence. There were chopped walnuts and mashed bananas in the buns. Oh I just wish they can give me more filling! :P
  • The bun was soft and crunchy because of the cookie-like crust.
Matcha Green Tea-4/6
  • $1.75
  • Creamy matcha filling with coconut flakes
  • Again, it was also from the oven behind the cashier, so this was served lukewarm as well.

  • I was surprised that the creamy custard did have green tea flavour. When I took a closer look, I figured out that they added green tea powder to make the custard.
  • Compare the two buns I had, I would prefer the Banana Walnut because it had more texture and flavour than the Matcha Green Tea.

I will definitely come back! Next time I will like to try the Apple Cinnamon. Though I hate cinnamon, apple in the bun sounds good to me :)

Bonchaz Bakery Cafe on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment