Pages

Friday, June 04, 2010

Kaide Sushi Bar

My aunt just arrived Vancouver on Thursday night (ahem, it should be FRIDAY MORNING to be precise), and she wanted to treat my sister and me to an easy dinner. To be honest, I didn't really bother to think where to go because to me, I will definitely go for Japanese restaurants; however, I was not sure whether my aunt likes Jap food or not. Also as far as I know, my aunt avoids quite a lot of food due to "health issues".

That being said, I left the planning to my sister. So at last, we ended up at Kaide Sushi Bar which was on both our wishlists.


Kaide Sushi Bar
1375 Richards St, Vancouver BC

Ratings
1:Yucks! 2:Improvement needed 3:So-So~ 4:Good 5:Very good 6:Heavenly

Food: 4.5
Price: 4
Service: 6
Ambiance: 4
Overall: 5

  • Mon-Thur 11:30am-9pm Fri 11:30am-10pm Sat 5pm-10pm
    Closed on Sundays
  • Dine in/Take Out
  • Roadside parking

  • Have quite a lot of seating
  • Magazines available (on the right side of the main entrance)
  • Brown rice available
  • Uses fresh dungeness crab
  • All fish are freshly prepared everyday
  • Mixes fresh local ingredients into their rolls (especially their vegetarian rolls)

Tuna Sashimi-4/6

  • $12/8pcs
  • It didn't disappoint. I could tell from the colour and the texture that the tuna was really fresh!

  • The bad thing was the tuna was not fully thawed. It still tasted a little icy, but apart from that, the texture itself was soft but not mushy.
  • The price may be a bit pricier than other restaurants, but I think that's really worth the price :)

After the sashimi, here comes the sushi rolls!

  • They offer quite a large variety of sushi rolls, even though most of them are the regular ones you can find in other Japanese restaurants.
  • They still have some special rolls though; I think the Rising Sun is the most popular roll because it basically contains everything.

The "501"-4/6

  • $7/5pcs $12.95/10pcs
  • 3 kinds of fish, 3 kinds of veggies & egg
  • I could only find tuna and salmon (wild sockeye salmon) in the roll. I was wondering the crab might be the third kind. That didn't really bother me anyway; I'm fine with tuna and salmon :P
  • The sushi rice was moist but did not have much vinegar flavour, and the seaweed was tough. I didn't really care about the rice though; I just wish the seaweed would be better.
  • The asparagus, egg, and cucumbers tasted average.
  • I didn't find the dungeness crab anything special, maybe because I seldom have crab so I can't tell the difference.

Futomaki-3.5/6

  • $5.75/5pcs $10.50/10pcs
  • Cooked vegetables with imitation crabmeat & eel
  • Instead of imitation crab, they gave us real crabmeat, haha :D
  • The sushi and the seaweed tasted the same as the "501" Roll.
  • The eel and the mushroom were bland and mushy. If you're an eel fan, don't expect you can find a big piece of eel in this roll.
  • This is their regular Futomaki. They also offer vegetarian Futomaki which has cooked & marinated veggies, cucumber, and asparagus.

Seasonal Pleasure-Mango & Salmon Roll-4/6

  • $3.50-6.50/8pcs
  • Seasoned greens or fruit made into unique taste
  • The idea of this roll is interesting. It was not something fancy, so the flavour was comparatively faint.
  • The ingredients were mango, wild sockeye salmon, and asparagus.
  • Before I asked the server, I was expecting some berries in this roll because they are seasonal fruits now, right? :D (Ok, I know that sounds ridiculous.)
Unatama-4.5/6
  • $5.50
  • BBQ eel with egg
  • The seaweed was not tough this time; it was slightly crunchy. Aside from that, everything was average.

Here comes the bill! I was impressed by the oranges they gave us. It wasn't anything special, but that really gave a nice ending to my meal :)

Kaide Sushi Bar on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment