Pages

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Hapa Izakaya @Kitsilano 1-A whole new experience ;)

The first Hapa Izakaya I went to was their Yaletown location (post here) and I didn't really like it. I like the food, though. It's just the atmosphere wasn't quite right for me...maybe that's just only me hmm :/
Anyway, so why would I end up in their Kitsilano location? Dine Out Vancouver is the answer to the question (yes I know it was long long time ago...) My friend invited me to go Dine out with her at Hapa; however, the Dine Out Vancouver menu was only available at their Kitsilano location. So before heading to the YVR airport that night, I decided to give myself a little break from all the school work, and went to Hapa with my friend as a treat for myself :)


Hapa Izakaya (Kitsilano)
1516 Yew Street, Vancouver BC
RATINGS

Food: n/a (I should rate when I come again next time!)
Price: 4.5
Service: 5.5
Ambiance: 6
Overall: n/a
  • Sun-Thur 5:30pm-Midnight
    Fri & Sat 5:30pm-1am
  • Parking is available along the street. (Not bad, you can find a spot easily :))
  • Other locations: Robson & Yaletown
  • Gets busier as it gets later. (Hint: Reservation is highly recommended!)
  • They have (private?) functions occasionally, so make sure that they are available that night.
  • (Sorry for the crappy photo...) This is only part of their interior. They have more seatings behind this area, and also a bar.
  • You can check out their menus and fresh sheets on their website.

For the Dine Out menu (which cost $28), you could choose between these three menus: Vegetarian, Meat, or Seafood. Each menu included three items: Appetizer, Main Dish, and Dessert.

My friend and I did not spend much time deciding. We chose...

The Seafood menu!! :D





 
Sashimi Salad-4/6
  • Mixed sashimi on a bed of organic greens with soy herb dressing.
  • While there isn't much to say about the greens, I do like the soy herb dressing, which is not tangy but still gives enough flavour to the salad.
  • Aside from the ebi, they gave us one slice of sashimi of each fish. I remember eating tuna and salmon...but I already forgot what else is in there...
Ahi Tuna Steak-3.5/6
  • Seared ahi tuna drizzled with sesame sauce.
  • The tuna steak looks really good in the picture but I found the edge was pretty dry.
  • Luckily, the sauce saves the tuna steak this time. The sesame sauce tastes similar to the gomae sauce but this one is less salty and does not have a very strong nutty flavour.
Gindara-4.5/6
  • Miso-marinated sablefish baked; garnished with seasonal veggie.
  • A very simple dish. As you can see from the photo above, the "seasonal veggies" are steamed baby carrots and long beans. The do not have much flavour, though. So I guess that's what those two circles are for: sauce!
  • The fish itself is very moist and soft. Again, the fish is very light in flavour so I did make good use of the sauce they provided :P
Halibut Chowder
  • Halibut, scallops, carrots, fingerling potatoes and onions; topped with croutons and oba oil. Served with garlic toast.
  • This is their award-winning dish. My friend ordered it so I didn't give it a try. She liked it :)
  • The garlic toast actually came when my friend was almost done. LOL! We totally forgot about it, so we did not remind the server...
For desserts, I forgot to take a shot at the menu. Hapa only hadtwo types of desserts for Dine Out, and since we had two people, we decided to try one of each :D

Creme Brulee-2/6
  • Vanilla-scented creme brulee.
  • I like the way it looks but I was expecting more from "vanilla scented". Towards the end, I did find some vanilla bits; however, I wish this can be more flavourful.
  • By the way, the creme breluee has a strawberry inside! :)
Sesame Cheesecake
  • Sesame crust, toppped with raspberry sauce.
  • My friend actually thought the flavour of the cheesecake would be sesame; however, it turned out only the crust was made of sesame.
  • Anyway, she enjoyed it and was happy that she chose the cheesecake instead of the creme brulee :P
Overall, I enjoyed my experience this time at Hapa Izakaya's Kitsilano location. I actually came back few weeks later and I will start another post on it for sure :D
Hapa Izakaya (Kitsilano) on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment